The Broke and the Bookish is kind of a "freebie" week. Really, it is a "Rewind" Week where you can go back and redo any of the past topics. I have no idea if my topic has ever been done before, so I'm rewinding to a Freebie Week.
In honor of the Olympics, I thought I'd like to highlight my favorite books that feature Sports and/or Athletes. So, in no particular order:
1. Breathe Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally: In this book, the main character Annie is training to run a marathon to honor her boyfriend who had recently died tragically. It really goes into the mental and physical trials of this kind of training... with a sweet romance as well.
2. The Final Four by Paul Volponi: This is a quickly paced look at college players competing in a high pressure Final Four game and is told from the viewpoint of four different players. Parts of the book honestly feel like a play-by-play broadcast of the games.
3. Winger by Andrew Smith: I absolutely adore this book about Ryan Dean - a prodigy at a private boarding school who plays on the rugby team.
4. Crossover by Kwame Alexander: Another basketball book, but this one is written in verse. The words have such a great rhythm that help convey the touching story.
5. The Swap by Megan Shull: This was a super cute story about a boy hockey player and a female soccer player who swap bodies in a "Freaky Friday" kind of story.
6. Take Me On by Katie McGarry: It's no secret that I love Katie McGarry's YA romance books, and this is no different. In this book, kickboxing takes center stage as the female main character has given up the sport despite being a champion kickboxer and she ends up helping a boy train for his first big fight.
So I guess I don't have 10 books to list... so do you have any suggestions for me?